Chapel was declared Parish on June 7, 2015

The history of St. Francis Xavier Church, Saverapura

The Church dedicated to St. Francis Xavier is located in Murkoth Palke’s Saverapura and belongs to Moodbidri Deanery. The Church is in Belvai Village and located nearly 10KM from Moodbidri.

When we focus on the history of St. Francis Xavier Church, our attention centers on one person, a true servant working for the Kindom of God, Lt Rev. Fr. Francis Xavier D’ Souza. He was the Parish Priest of Alangar Church during 1958 - 1971 and for his selfless service, was fondly called ‘Poki Padryaab’. During this period, sensing people’s need, he built 2 beautiful churches, one is the Moodbidri Town Church and the other is the Belvai Church. Both the churches were inaugurated in 1971 and Fr. Francis Xavier D’ Souza also became the first Parish Priest of Belvai Church.

In 1973, Fr. Francis Xavier D’ Souza’s attention went on the people surrounding Murkoth Palke and sensing people’e need, he bought 5 acres of land to build a Church at Saverapura.

In 1985, Rev. Fr. Mathias Pereira took charge as the Parish Priest of Paladka and the Chapel construction gained momentum. In the coming years, people though voluntary work, erected the compound wall and dug up the well.

In 1988, on the auspicious occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of Paladka Parish, Late Very Rev Bishop Basil S. D’ Souza, the then Bishop of Mangalore Diocese laid the foundation stone for the chapel. Fr. Mathias Pereira was very instrumental in finishing the construction work of the Chapel. The chapel was inaugurated and blessed by Late Bishop Basil D’ Souza on Dec 3, 1991 with Grand Eucharistic Sacrifice at 10:30am. Fr. Mathias Pereira for his noble work is regarded as the “Architect of Saverapura”. There were 42 families in 2 wards namesly, St. Antony and Christ King that belonged to this chapel at that time.

Since then the following Parish Priests of Paladka church used to come to Murkoth Palke chapel for Mass and other pastoral needs.

Fr. Mathias Pereira (1991 – 1994)

Fr. Benjamin Pinto (1994 – 2001)

Fr. Norbert Lobo (2001 – 2008)

When Redemptorist Fathers opened their house in Alangar they began to help out the Paladka Parish Priest in the spiritual needs of the chapel.

In a parish council meeting of Paladka church held on 24th February, 2008, when Fr. Norbert Lobo was the parish priest, it was decided to hand over the chapel to the Redemptorist Fathers. A request was submitted to the Bishop of Mangalore, Most Rev Aloysius Paul D'Souza in this regard. The Bishop in his letter dated April 2008, entrusted to the Redemtporist Fathers the spiritual care of the faithful with all the faculties. Fr. Eugene D’ Silva took over as the priest in charge of Saverapura Chapel in 2008 on the feast of Pentecost. Later Fr. Prem Prakash Dsouza took charge as the Priest in-charge of the Chapel in June 2009 and served till February 2015. In February 2015, Fr. Rakesh Mathias took charge as the Priest in-charge of the Chapel. 

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 on the The Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi), the Chapel was raised to the Canonical Status of a Parish at the Eucharistic Celebration at 4pm presided over by Most Rev. Dr. Aloysius Paul D'Souza, Bishop of Mangaluru. St. Francis Xavier Parish, Saverapura, Murkoth Palke is the 116th Parish of the Diocese.

The Church has a play ground prepared in 2009 for the children and youth to play. Every year in the month of October Sports competitions are held. On Christmas night various cultural programmes are conducted and an open stage was put up for this purpose in Feb 2010. Yearly retreat helps people to enhance their faith. A grotto dedicated to Our Lady of Fathima inaugurated in February 2010 helps people to show their respect for Mother Mary . A new generator facility was blessed and dedicated to the Church during Charistmas 2012.

The annual feast of the Church is celebrated on the 3rd December, on the feast of St. Francis Xavier.

At present there are 51 families in the Parish and they are divided into two wards. 

St. Antony Ward – 34 families

Christ King Ward – 17 families. 

The Parish has currently 5 Priests, 4 Sisters and 5 Seminarians.

- Last updated in June 2015


Late. Fr. Francis Xavier D’ Souza
(Arranged Land - 1973)

 

 


Fr. Mathias Pereira, Founder
(1991-94)

 


Fr. Benjamin Pinto
(1994-2001)

 


Fr. Norbert Lobo
(2001-2008)

 

 


Fr. Eugene D'Silva, CSSR
(2008-2009)


Fr. Prem Prakash DSouza, CSSR
(2009 - 2015 )


Fr. Rakesh Mathias, CSSR
(Feb 2015 - )

ಸಾವೆರಾಪುರಾ ಸಾಂ. ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರ್ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚಿ ಚರಿತ್ರಾ

ಮುರ್ಕತ್ ಪಲ್ಕೆಚ್ಯಾ ಸಾವೆರಾಪುರಾಂತ್ ಆಸ್ಚೆಂ ಸಾಂ. ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರಾಕ್ ಸಮರ್ಪುನ್ ದಿಲ್ಲೆಂ ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ಮೂಡ್‌ಬಿದ್ರಿ ವಾರಡ್ಯಚ್ಯಾ ಪಾಲಡ್ಕಾ ಫಿರ್ಗಜೆಕ್ ಸೆರ್ವಾಲ್ಲೆಂ ಜಾವ್ನಾಸಾ. ಹೆಂ ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ಬೆಳುವಾಯಿ ಗ್ರಾಮಂತ್ ಆಸೊನ್ ಮೂಡ್‌ಬಿದ್ರಿ ಥಾವ್ನ್ ಸುಮಾರ್ ಧಾ ಕಿ.ಮಿ. ಪಯ್ಸ್ ಅಸಾ.

ಸಾವೆರಾಪುರ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚಾ ಚರಿತ್ರೆಚೆರ್ ಆಮಿ ನದರ್ ಘಾಲಿತರ್, ಆಮ್ಚಿ ದೀಷ್ಟ್ ಎಕಾ ವೆಕ್ತಿಚೆರ್ ಕೇಂದ್ರೀಕ್ರತ್ ಜಾತಾ. ತೆ ಜಾವ್ನಾಸಾತ್ ದೆವಾಚಾ ರಾಜಾಚೆ ಖರೆ ವಾವ್ರಾಡಿ ದೆವಾದಿನ್ ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರ್ ಸೋಜ್. 1958 ಥಾವ್ನ್ 1971 ಮ್ಹಣಾಸರ್ ಅಲಂಗಾರ್ ಫಿರ್ಗಜೆಚೆ ವಿಗಾರ್ ಜಾವ್ನಾಸ್ಲ್ಲ್ಯಾ ವೆಳಾ ತಾಂಚಾ ನಿಸ್ವಾರ್ಥಿ ಸೆವೆವರ್ವಿಂ "ಪೊಕಿ ಪಾದ್ರ್ಯಾಬ್" ಮ್ಹಣ್ ಲೊಕಾಮೊಗಾಳ್ ಜಾಲ್ಲೆ. ಹ್ಯಾ ಆವ್ದೆರ್ ಲೊಕಾಚ್ಯೊ ಗರ್ಜೊ ಸಮ್ಜೊನ್ ತಾಣಿಂ ದೋನ್ ಸೊಬಿತ್ತ್ ಇಗರ್ಜ್ಯೊ ಬಾಂದ್ಲ್ಯೊ. ಏಕ್ ಮೂಡ್ಬಿದ್ರಿಚಿ ಟೌನ್ ಇಗರ್ಜ್ ತರ್ ಆನ್ಯೆಕ್ ಬೆಳ್ವಾಯ್ ಇಗರ್ಜ್. ಹ್ಯೊ ದೊನೀ ಇಗರ್ಜ್ಯೊ 1971 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಉಗ್ತಾವಣ್ ಜಾವ್ನ್, ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರ್ ಸೋಜ್ ಬೆಳ್ವಾಯ್ ಫಿರ್ಗಜೆಚೆ ಪೊಯಿಲೆ ವಿಗಾರ್ ಜಾವ್ಂಕ್ ಪಾವ್ಲೆ.

1973 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಮಾ. ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರ್ ಸೋಜ್ ಬಾಪಾಂಚಿ ದೀಷ್ಟ್ ಮುರ್ಕೊತ್ ಪಲ್ಕೆಚ್ಯಾ ಬೊಂವಾರಿಂಚ್ಯಾ ಲೊಕಾಚೆರ್ ಖಂಚ್ಲಿ. ತಾಂಚಾ ಆತ್ಮಿಕ್ ಗರ್ಜಾಂಖಾತಿರ್ ಏಕ್ ಇಗರ್ಜ್ ಬಾಂದ್ಚಾ ದಿಷ್ಟೆನ್ ಮುರ್ಕೊತ್ ಪಲ್ಕೆಚ್ಯಾ ಸಾವೆರಾಪುರ ಮ್ಹಳ್ಳೆಕಡೆನ್ ತಾಣಿಂ ಪಾಂಚ್ ಎಕ್ರೆ ಜಾಗೊ ಮೊಲಾಕ್ ಘೆತ್ಲೊ.

1985 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಮಾಥಾಯಾಸ್ ಪಿರೇರ ಪಾಲಡ್ಕ ಫಿರ್ಗಜೆಚೆ ವಿಗಾರ್ ಜಾವ್ನ್ ನೇಮಕ್ ಜಾಲೆ ಆನಿ ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ಬಾಂದ್ಚಾ ವಿಶ್ಯಾಂತ್ ಚಿಂತಾಪ್ ಆಟವ್ಂಕ್ ಲಾಗ್ಲೆ. ತಾಂಚ್ಯಾ ಮಾರ್ಗದರ್ಶನಖಾಲ್ ಮುಕ್ಲ್ಯಾ ವರ್ಸಾನಿಂ ಲೊಕಾನಿಂ ಸರ್ತ್ಯೊ ಕರ್ನ್ ಪಾಗೊರಾಚೆಂ ಆನಿಂ ಬಾಯಿಂಚೆಂ ಕಾಮ್ ಸಮ್ಪೂರ್ಣ್ ಕೆಲೆಂ.

1988 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್, ಪಾಲಾಡ್ಕಾ ಫಿರ್ಗಜೆಚ್ಯಾ ಅಮ್ರತ ಮಹೋತ್ಸವಾಚ್ಯಾ ಸಂಧರ್ಭಾರ್ ಹಾಂಗಾಸರ್ ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ಬಾಂದುಂಕ್ ತವಳ್ಚೊ ಮಂಗ್ಳುರ್ ದಿಯೆಸೆಜಿಸೊ ಗೊವ್ಳಿ ಬಾಪ್ ದೆವಾದಿನ್ ಅ. ಮಾ. ಬಾಜಿಲ್ ಸೋಜ್ ಬಾಪಾನಿಂ ಬುನ್ಯಾದಿ ಫಾತೊರ್ ಘಾಲ್ಲೊ ಜಾವ್ನಾಸಾ. ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಮಾಥಾಯಾಸ್ ಪಿರೇರಚ್ಯಾ ಮಾರ್ಗದರ್ಶನಖಾಲ್ ಲೊಕಾಚೆ ವರ್ತೆ ಮಿನತೆ ವರ್ವಿಂ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚೆಂ ಕಾಮ್ ಸಂಪೂರ್ಣ್ ಜಾವ್ನ್, ಡಿಸೆಂಬರ್ 3, 1991 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಗೊವ್ಳಿ ಬಾಪ್ ದೆವಾದಿನ್ ಅ. ಮಾ. ಬಾಜಿಲ್ ಸೋಜ್ ಬಾಪಾನಿಂ ಸಕಾಳಿಂಚಾ 10.30 ವರಾಂಚಾ ಸಂಭ್ರಮಿಕ್ ಮಿಸಾಚಾ ಬಲಿದಾನಸಂಗಿ ಹ್ಯಾ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚೆಂ ಆಶೀರ್ವಚನ್ ಆನಿ ಉಗ್ತಾವಣ್ ಕೆಲ್ಲೆಂ ಜಾವ್ನಾಸಾ. ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಮಾಥಾಯಾಸ್ ಪಿರೇರಕ್ ತಾಂಚ್ಯಾ ಮಿನತೆಕ್ ಲಾಗೊನ್ "ಸಾವೆರಾಪುರಚೊ ಶಿಲ್ಪಿ" ಮ್ಹಣ್ ವೋಲಾಯಿಲಾಂ. ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ಪ್ರಾರಂಬ್ ಜಾತಾನಾ ಹಾಂಗಾಸರ್ ಸಾಂ. ಅಂತೋನ್ ಆನಿ ಕ್ರೀಸ್ತ್ ರಾಯ್ ಮ್ಹಳ್ಳ್ಯಾ ದೋನ್ ವಾಡ್ಯಾನಿಂ ಒಟ್ಟುಕ್ 42 ಕುಟ್ಮಾಂ ಆಸ್‌ಲ್ಲಿ.

ತವಳ್ ಥಾವ್ನ್ ಸಕೈಲ್ ಕಾಣ್ಸಿಲ್ಲೆ ಪಾಲಾಡ್ಕಾಚೆ ವಿಗಾರ್ ಬಾಪ್ ಹಾಂಗಾಸರ್ ಯೇವ್ನ್, ಮೀಸ್ ಭೆಟವ್ನ್ ಲೊಕಾಚೆ ಆತ್ಮೀಕ್ ಗರ್ಜೆ ಸುದಾರ್ಸಿತಲೆ.
ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಮಾಥಾಯಾಸ್ ಪಿರೇರ (1991 - 1994)
ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಬೆಂಜಮಿನ್ ಪಿಂಟೊ (1994 - 2001)
ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ನೋರ್ಬಟ್ ಲೋಬೊ (2001 - 2008)

ರೆದೆಂಪ್ತೊರಿಸ್ತ್ ಯಾಜಾಕ್ ಅಲಂಗಾರಂತ್ ವಸ್ತಿ ಕರುಂಕ್ ಸುರು ಕೆಲ್ಲೆ ಥಾವ್ನ್ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚಾ ಲೊಕಾಂಚಾ ಆತ್ಮಿಕ್ ಗರ್ಜಾನಿಂ ಪಾಲಡ್ಕಾಚಾ ವಿಗಾರಾಕ್ ಕುಮೊಕ್ ಕರ್ತಾಲೆ.

ಫೆಬ್ರವರಿ 24, 2008 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್, ಪಾಲಾಡ್ಕಾಚೊ ತವಳ್ಚೊ ವಿಗಾರ್ ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ನೋರ್ಬಟ್ ಲೋಬೊಚ್ಯಾ ಕಾಳಾರ್, ಪಾಲಾಡ್ಕಾ ಗೊವ್ಳಿಕ್ ಪರಿಷದಿಚ್ಯಾ ಜಮಾತಿರ್ ಹೆಂ ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ರೆದೆಂಪ್ತೊರಿಸ್ತ್ ಯಾಜಾಕಾಂಕ್ ಹಸ್ತಾಂತರ್ ಕರುಂಕ್ ನಿರ‍್ಣಯ್ ಕೆಲೊ. ಹ್ಯಾ ನಿರ್ಣಯಾ ವಯ್ರ್ ಮಂಗ್ಳುರ್ಚೊ ಗೊವ್ಳಿ ಬಾಪ್ ಅ. ಮಾ. ಲುವಿಸ್ ಪಾವ್ಲ್ ಸೊಜ್ ಹಾಂಕಾಂ ಮನವಿ ದಿಲಿ. 2008 ಎಪ್ರಿಲಾಂತ್ ಗೊವ್ಳಿ ಬಾಪಾಂನಿ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚ್ಯಾ ಸಾಂದ್ಯಾಚ್ಯಾ ಆತ್ಮೀಕ್ ಗರ್ಜಾಂನಿ ಪಾಂವ್ಚ್ಯಾಕ್ ರೆದೆಂಪ್ತೊರಿಸ್ತ್ ಯಾಜಾಕಾಂಕ್ ಹೆಂ ಕೊಪೆಲ್ ಹಸ್ತಾಂತರ್ ಕೆಲೆಂ. ತ್ಯಾಚ್ ವರ್ಸಾ ಮೇ ಧಾ-ವೆರ್, ಪೆಂತೆಕೋಸ್ತಚ್ಯಾ ಪೊರ್ಬೆ ದಿಸಾ ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಎವ್ಜಿನ್ ಡಿ’ಸಿಲ್ವಾ ಬಾಪಾನಿಂ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚೊ ಮೇಲ್ವಿಚಾರಕ್ ಜಾವ್ನ್ ಜವಾಬ್ದಾರಿ ಕಾಣ್ಘೆಲಿ. ಜೂನ್ 6, 2009 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಪ್ರೇಮ್ ಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಡಿ’ಸೋಜಾ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚೊ ಮೇಲ್ವಿಚಾರಕ್ ಜಾವ್ನ್ ನೇಮಕ್ ಜಾಲೆ. ಪ್ರಸ್ತುತ್ ಮಾ. ಬಾ. ಪ್ರೇಮ್ ಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಡಿ’ಸೋಜಾ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಂತ್ ತಾಂಚಿ ಸೆವಾ ದೀವ್ನ್ ಆಸಾತ್.

ಸಾಂ. ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರ್ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಂತ್ ಪ್ರಸ್ತುತ್ ಕ್ರೀಸ್ತ್ ರಾಯ್ ವಾಡ್ಯಾಂತ್ 16 ಕುಟ್ಮಾಂ ಆನಿ ಸಾಂ ಅಂತೋನ್ ವಾಡ್ಯಾಂತ್ 32ಕುಟ್ಮಾಂ ಆಸೊನ್ ಒಟ್ಟುಕ್ 48 ಕುಟ್ಮಾಂ ಅಸಾತ್. ಕೊಪೆಲಾ ಥಾವ್ನ್ ಎದೊಳ್‌ಚ್ಚ್ ಚೊವ್ಗ್ ಯಾಜಾಕ್, ಪಾಂಚ್ ಧಾರ್ಮಿಕ್ ಭಯ್ಣಿಂ ಜಾಲ್ಲೆಂ ಆಸಾತ್, ಆನಿ ಪಾಂಚ್ ಸೆಮಿನರಿಸ್ತ್ ವೆವೆಗ್ಳ್ಯಾ ಹಂತಾರ್ ತರ್ಬೆತಿ ಘೆವ್ನ್ ಆಸಾತ್.

ಹರ‍್ಯೇಕಾ ಆಯ್ತಾರಾ ರೆದೆಂಪ್ತೊರಿಸ್ತ್ ಯಾಜಾಕ್ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಂತ್ ಮಿಸಾಚೆ ಬಲಿದಾನ್ ಸಂಬ್ರಮ್ತಾತ್ ತಶೆಂಚ್ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚಾ ಸರ್ವ್ ಆತ್ಮೀಕ್ ಗರ್ಜಾಂಕ್ ಪಾವ್ತಾತ್. ಕೊಪೆಲಾಂತ್ ಲೊಕಾಂನಿ ವಿಂಚ್‌ಲ್ಲಿ ಧಾ ಜಣಾಂ ಸಾಂದ್ಯಾಂಚಿ ಕಮಿಟಿ ಆಸೊನ್ ಗರ್ಜೆಚೆ ನಿರ್ಣಯ್ ಘೆಂವ್ಕ್ ಕುಮೊಕ್ ಕರ್ತಾತ್. ಲಾಯಿಕಾಸಂಗಿ ಅಲಂಗಾರ್ ಮೌಂಟ್ ರೋಜರಿ ಕೊವೆಂತಾಚಿ ಸಿಸ್ಟ್ರಾಂ ಭುರ್ಗ್ಯಾಂಕ್ ದೊತೊರ್ನ್ ಶಿಕೊಂವ್ಕ್ ತಶೆಂಸ್ ಲಾನ್ ಕ್ರೀಸ್ತಾಂವ್ ಸಮುದಾಯೆಚಿ ಜಮಾತ್ ಚಲೊವ್ನ್ ವೊರೊಂಕ್ ಕುಮೊಕ್ ಕರ್ತಾತ್. ಅಲ್ತಾರ್ ಭುರ್ಗ್ಯಾಂಚೊ ಸಂಘ್, ಗಾಯಾನ್ ಮಂಡಳಿ ತಶೆಂಚ್ ಉಬೇಸ್ತ್ ಯುವಜಣಾಂ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚ್ಯಾ ಸರ್ವ್ ಗರ್ಜಾನಿಂ ತಾಂಚೊ ಸಹಕಾರ್ ದಿತಾತ್.

2009 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಹಾಂಗಾಸರ್ ಖೆಳಾ ಮೈದಾನ್ ತಾಯಾರ್ ಕೆಲ್ಲೆಂ ಆನಿ 2010 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಸ್ಟೇಜ್ ಉಬಾರ್ಲ್ಲಿ ಆಸಾ. ವರ್ಸಾಂ ಮಧೆಂ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚ್ಯಾ ಸಾಂದ್ಯಾ ಖಾತಿರ್ ಮಾಂಡುನ್ ಹಾಡ್ಚೆ ಖೆಳಾ ಪಂದ್ಯಾಟ್, ಪಿಕ್ನಿಕ್, ಸಾಂಸ್ಕ್ರತಿಕ್ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮಾಂ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಚ್ಯಾ ಸಾಂದ್ಯಾ ಮದ್ಲೊ ಎಕ್ವಟ್ ಚಡಯ್ತಾತ್. ವರ್ಸಾವರ್ ಚಲ್ಚಿ ರೆತಿರ್ ಭಾವಾಡ್ತ್ ಜಿವಾಳ್ ದವರ್ತಾತ್. ಫೆಬ್ರವರಿ 11, 2010 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ಉಗ್ತಾವಣ್ ಜಾಲ್ಲೊ ಲೂರ್ದ್ ಮಾಯೆಚೊ ಗ್ರೊಟ್ಟೊ ಮರಿಯೆ ಥೈ ಲೊಕಾಚಿ ಭಕ್ತ್ ಚಡಯ್ತಾ. ಕೊಪೆಲಾಕ್ ನವಿ ಜನರೇಟರ್ ವೆವಸ್ತಾ 2012 ಇಸ್ವೆಂತ್ ನತಾಲಾಂಚಾ ಫ಼ೆಸ್ತಾವೆಳಿಂ ಒದಗ್ಸಿಲ್ಯಾ.

ಸಾಂ ಫ್ರಾನ್ಸಿಸ್ ಸಾವೆರಾಚಾ ಮಾನಾಕ್ ಡಿಸೆಂಬರ್ 3 ತಾರಿಕೆರ್ ಫಿರ್ಗಜೆಚೆ ವಾರ್ಷಿಕ್ ಪರಬ್ ಭೋವ್ ಸಾಂಭ್ರಾಮನ್ ಚಲ್ತಾ. ಸಬಾರ್ ದಾನಿಂಚ್ಯಾ ಸಹಕಾರಾನ್ ಕೊಪೆಲಾಂತ್ ಜಾಯ್ತಿ ಬರಿಂ ಕಾಮಾ ಜಾಲ್ಯಾಂತ್ ಆನಿ ಜಾಂವ್ಚಿ ಆಸಾತ್. 

- Last updated in Dec 2012

Also read - About Saverapura Parish


About St. Ignatius Loyola Church, Paladka

42 Kilometers north-east of Mangalore is the Paladka Church. Distant villages were detached from Kirem, Kinnigoly, Hospet, Karkala and Taccode Parishes and were formed into the Paladka Parish on November 17th, 1913 and Fr. Salvadore D'Souza was appointed as its first Parish Priest.

Parish Priests of Paladka Parish who served the needs of the people of Saverapura from 1913 to 2008.

Fr. Salvadore D'Souza (17-11-1913 to 26-4-1922)
Fr. John B. D'Sa (26-4-1922 to 24-1-1937)
Fr. Andrew J. Pinto (24-1-1937 to 24-5-1942)
Fr. Antony Noronha (24-5-1942 to 20-5-1954)
Fr. Gualbert Noronha (20-5-1954 to 13-4-1955)
Fr. Paul D.G. Rego (13-4-1955 to 15-4-1967)
Rev. Fr. Peter Lobo (15-4-1967 to 30-3-1978)
Rev. Fr. Oswald Lasrado (30-3-1978 to 14-5-1985)
Rev. Fr. Lawrence S. Pais (14-5-1985 to 24-6-1985)
Rev. Fr. Mathias Pereira (24-6-1985 to 31-5-1994)
Rev. Fr. Benjamin Pinto (31-5-1994 to 17-5-2001)
Rev. Fr. Norbert Lobo (17-5-2001 to 1-6-2008)

In 2008, the Chapel was handed over to Redemptorist Priests for pastoral needs.

Parish Priests of Paladka Church from 2008
Fr. Stany Rodrigues (1-6-2008 to 30-05-2010)
Fr. Dolphy Monteiro (30-05-2010 to 18-08-2010 ) (expired)
Fr. Harold Pereira (27-08-2010 to 05-06-2011)
Fr. Gilbert DSouza (11-06-2011 to 02-06-2013)
Fr. Ivan Michael Rodrigues (02-06-2013 to - ) (present Parish Priest)


 About CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF REMEDIES, Kirem

The church is situated at a distance of 30 kms north-east of Mangalore and is surrounded by Kinnigoly, Bolkunje, Mundkur, Niddodi, and Kateel parishes.

Kirem is one of the most ancient parishes of the Diocese.  In 1730 King Chennaraya Samanth a feudatory of the Nayaks of Keladi donated 6 acres of land to the Christians to build a church.  Fr Joseph Francis Alvares, a Goan priest, lived here from 1759 to 1761 and he offered mass in the thatched building.  The first parish church with a tiled roof was built in 1783.  It was demolished by the soldiers of Tippu Sultan in 1784 and it was found in ruins by Fr Paulinus. 

It is said that when the Christians of Kirem were taken captives, some of Tippu Sultan’s men ordered the local Hindus to dismantle the building of Kirem Church and transport tiles, timber, and even stones of the walls to Ghazni (Mulki) to build a palatial house for a prominent Muslim there. Accordingly tiles and timber were carried to Ghazani but the Patel of Talipadi village who was a bunt and a person of importance, and a few other prominent Bunts secretly instructed the man invalid in the dismantling of the church to break the stones deliberately while detaching them from the walls. Then they reported the matter to Muslims and said that the stones of the church wall coudn’t be detached without breaking them. This manipulation was done to save the Hindus from the burden of carrying the stones to Ghazani, which is 10 kms away from Kirem and also to save the stone structure of the church. The walls of the church were thus left standing and the re-roofing of the church. First a thatched one, and later a tiled ones, was done after the return of the Christians from the captivity. As a mark of gratitude towards the Bunts for saving the stone stricture of the church, even to this day, on the day of Kirem Parish feast candles of honors, betel leaves area-nuts and a bunch of plantains are given to the Bunt families. They receive them with dignity and pride.

In 1800 the foundation for a new church was laid and a church was raised.  Later, the Portuguese King used to give a grant to the church and to mark this a Cross which looks like the Portuguese crown was kept at the entrance of the church where the present facade stands.  In 1810, the church was re-roofed.  During the Padroado Propaganda Controversy there was a split at Kirem as was the case at Kallianpur and Shirva.  Most of the Kirem parishioners accepted the jurisdiction of the Propaganda diocese of Verapoly while the Goan parish priest,  Fr Joachim E. Mark da Costa remained under the Padroado.  The problem was solved when and Kirem was placed under the Padroado in Goa which now had a bishop approved by Rome.

Until 1886 Kirem was the residence of Goan Vicars General of Canara.  Two Goan Vicars General Frs Avelino Jose Mark Baretto (1870-1880) and Joseph Lucas dos Rei (1880-1887) resided at Kirem as the parish priests.  Fr Cajetan Philip Sebastian de Noronha (1887-1903) was the last Goan parish priest of Kirem.

Fr Aloysius John D’Souza (1903-1908) became the first Mangalorean parish preist to serve Kirem.  Fr Salvadore D’Souza built the outstation church at Paladka where he became the founder parish priest in 1913.

Compiled from various sources by Wilson DSouza, Saverapura 


Click here to read more about Christianity in Mangalore

 

© 2013 www.saverapurachurch.org. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by eCreators